Skip to main content

SHENZHEN, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) – Huawei chief financial officer Meng Wanzhou arrived in Shenzhen, southern China on Saturday evening on a charter flight organized by the Chinese government, after being illegally detained for almost three years in Canada.

At around 10 p.m., the charter flight landed at Shenzhen Bao’an International Airport.

Meng, in a red dress, greeted the welcoming crowd after exiting the booth, which was adorned with the Chinese national flag. As she descended the stairs, applause and cheers erupted from the crowd. Airport staff gave him flowers.

The crowd held up a banner that read “Welcome Home, Ms. Meng Wanzhou”, waved national flags and chanted “Welcome Home”.

Meng’s family members, central and local government officials, and his colleagues from Huawei were among more than 100 people waiting at the airport.

There were no handshakes or hugs due to outbreak prevention issues. Meng gave a brief speech at the airport.

“After more than 1,000 days of torment, I am finally back in the embrace of the homeland,” Meng said.

“I’m back, homeland!” she chanted in front of the delirious crowd.

“As an ordinary Chinese citizen who suffered from this situation and was stranded abroad for nearly three years, there was never a time when I did not feel the care and warmth of the Party, homeland and people, ”she said.

“President Xi Jinping cares about the safety of every Chinese citizen, including me. I am deeply moved,” Meng said. “I also thank the departments concerned for their support and assistance. They steadfastly safeguarded the legitimate rights and interests of Chinese businesses and citizens.

“The motherland provides us with the strongest support,” Meng said. “As an ordinary Chinese person, I am proud of my homeland.”

Meng bowed several times during her speech to the crowd, who applauded and applauded her moving speech.

The crowd burst into an impromptu rendition of the patriotic song “Ode to the Motherland” after the speech. Meng then sang with them.

Meng was arbitrarily detained by Canada following an extradition request from the United States on December 1, 2018 at Vancouver International Airport.

She has pleaded not guilty to all charges against her and reached a postponement agreement with U.S. prosecutors. The US side withdrew its extradition request. Meng did not pay any fines.

Facts have proven that Meng’s targeting is a case of political persecution aimed at suppressing Chinese high-tech companies, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Hua Chunying said on Saturday.

The alleged fraud charges against Meng are pure fabrication, she said. “What the United States and Canada have done is a typical case of arbitrary detention.”


The announcement of Meng’s release sparked a strong reaction from Chinese internet users. His return, made possible through the tireless efforts of the Chinese government, has been hailed as a major victory for the Chinese people.

“I’m so excited I’m on the verge of tears,” one comment said.

Meng’s arrival was broadcast by the state broadcaster. Residents of Shenzhen, where Huawei is based, greeted his return with tremendous enthusiasm.

On Saturday night, many of the city’s iconic buildings displayed giant welcome slogans, as drones flew in formations to form welcome messages. At the airport, patriotic songs were played in the terminal.

In accordance with epidemic control rules, Meng will be quarantined at a designated hotel upon arrival.

Source link