Skip to main content

Motherwell became the first team to take league points Rangers at Ibrox since March 2020 to spoil the hosts’ party with a 1-1 draw.

Gers fans applauded the deployment of the Premiership flag for the first time in a decade ahead of the game and it looked like an afternoon of celebration as Fashion forward Sakala scored his first competitive goal for the Light Blues after 12 minutes.

However, after the home side failed to capitalize on their dominance, Well forward Kaiyne Woolery knocked out Ibrox in the 66th minute when he shot into an equalizer.

that of Steven Gerrard the team had to be content with the draw that puts them at the top of the standings with just one point ahead of Hibernian and Hearts.

Mother’s well they themselves would have been top of the table with a win, but Graham Alexander’s side will be more than happy with their point.

Former Gers boss and skipper John Greig joined President Douglas Park and Vice President John Bennett for the flag ceremony without any SPFL representative amid an ongoing dispute with Rangers over the organization’s sponsorship agreement with an automobile manufacturer.

The home team took the lead seconds after surviving a scare.

GLASGOW, SCOTLAND – SEPTEMBER 19: Motherwell’s Kaiyne Woolery celebrates with Mark O’Hara after scoring 1-1 in a Premiership match between Rangers and Motherwell at Ibrox Stadium on September 19, 2021, in Glasgow, Scotland. (Photo by Craig Foy / SNS Group)

Rangers' Steven Davis is congratulated by his teammates

Receive the latest Rangers FC updates, transfer information and analysis straight to your inbox every day for free by subscribing to our newsletter.

Nothing could be easier to subscribe to our daily Gers newsletter. Simply click on this link to access our newsletter preference center. Enter your email address, select ‘Rangers FC news’ and we’ll take care of the rest!

Well, forward Tony Watt passed Jack Simpson, picked up a long ball and rounded goaltender Allan McGregor only for the recovering Connor Goldson to make a crucial challenge.

The home side ran into the park and Well’s goalkeeper Liam Kelly saved a long-range shot from Sakala, but from the resulting corner the Zambia international headed under the crossbar after Joe Aribo headed for the delivery of the skipper James Tavernier.

The Rangers led the second half as they did the first and Kelly continued to rack up saves, Tavernier’s hour-mark after a short turn was quite spectacular before the shock equalizer.

Mark O’Hara burst into the Gers box following a pass from Kevin Van Veen and, although Goldson tackled, the ball broke at Woolery and he passed Borna Barisic to sweep the ball away 12 meters above McGregor.

It was the first shot on target for Fir Park’s men and the Rangers were desperate to regain their lead.

Former Huddersfield midfielder Juninho Bacuna made his debut in the 75th minute, replacing Sakala, with Alfredo Morelos and Scott Arfield also added, but they failed to make up the difference even with six extra minutes.